This lemon simple syrup is made using just 3 ingredients and is amazing in everything from cocktails to cake!!
What is Lemon Simple Syrup?
Simple syrup is usually made with equal parts water and sugar. The mixture is heated to help the sugar dissolve, which yields a sweet syrup that can be used to sweeten and flavor just about anything!
This recipe makes a lemon simple syrup by adding in fresh lemon juice and zest. They pack this syrup with bright, citrus flavor.
Lemon Simple Syrup Ingredients & Substitutions
Like I mentioned above, this recipe is pretty straight forward! However, there are some substitutions and swaps you can make if needed.
- Water – Room temperature tap water works great in this recipe.
- Granulated Sugar – I like using granulated sugar because it’s what I usually have on hand, but you can also use extra fine sugar or caster sugar.
- Lemon Zest and Juice – Fresh lemon zest and juice give this syrup all its flavor. I don’t recommend using bottled lemon juice.
How Do You Make Lemon Simple Syrup?
I love this recipe because it seriously takes less than 5 minutes to make!
Start by pouring the granulated sugar and water into a small saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, and stir continuously until the mixture just starts to boil. It usually takes about 3 minutes for my simple syrup to reach a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the zest and juice of 1 small lemon. Pour into a separate container to cool to room temperature, then cover and set aside.
If you’re making this in advance, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
How Can You Use this Lemon Simple Syrup?
I’m sure it’s no surprise, but my favorite way to use lemon simple syrup is to brush it on cake layers!! It adds both moisture and flavor, and truly makes any cake irresistible.
I highly recommend leveling each cake layer before adding the syrup, so they can easily absorb the syrup.
You can use a silicone pastry brush or a plastic squirt bottle to generously soak each cake layer with syrup. The entire top of the cake layer should look moist once you’ve added it.
I usually brush my cake layers with simple syrup right before I assemble a cake. If you want to make / freeze cake layer in advance, I recommend thawing them and then adding the simple syrup just before you frost the cake.
I use this technique in my raspberry lemon cake recipe and it really takes the cake to the next level.
This lemon simple syrup also tastes amazing in cocktails. The sky is really the limit!
How Do You Store Lemon Simple Syrup?
This recipe can be made in advance or leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
I usually keep mine in a mason jar but any container with a good lid should work just fine.
Let Me Know What You Think
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think by sharing a rating below!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Lemon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water (240g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- zest and juice of 1 small lemon
Lemon Simple Syrup
- Pour the granulated sugar and water into a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, and stir continuously until the mixture just starts to boil. It usually takes about 3 minutes for my simple syrup to reach a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the zest and juice of 1 small lemon. Pour into a separate container and cool to room temperature. I like to keep my simple syrup in mason jars for easy storage.
- If you're making this in advance, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 98Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 25gProtein 0g