I’ve been asked what tools I use when I’m making cakes, and have decided to share a list of my favorite cake decorating tools! These are the tools and equipment that I wouldn’t be able to survive/decorate without.
It’s also important to note that you don’t need expensive tools to get the job done. Some of the tools I use the most are also the cheapest! When I was first starting out, I would one item at a time, and slowly accumulated everything I needed.
It can be a bit daunting when you think about EVERYTHING you think you need, so I recommend starting off the with the things that are the most important. For me, this was a spinning cake stand (I got a $30 wilton cake stand that worked decent enough, but didn’t do well with heavy cakes!), a large offset spatula, a bench scrapper, and some standard piping tips! For me, those were the most crucial items.
Everything else listed below, I gradually purchased as I received more orders. It was driven by the actual need of certain items to complete a cake request, and also me being able to justify the purchase with the extra money I was getting from my cake orders.
So here they are, sorted by importance, and with links to the exact products I use!! I hope this helps you with your baking journey! Having the right tools can make all the difference 🙂
- Spinning Cake Stand – I have had this stand for years, and it has never let me down! It can support very heavy cakes, and is dream to decorate on.
- Offset Spatula – used on every cake for evenly spreading frosting between cake layers, and applying crumb coats! I also use it for certain decorating techniques.
- Bench scraper – This tool is ESSENTIAL to getting smooth sides and sharp edges on your cakes!! I have several, but this one is the one I use the most.
- Basic Frosting Tips – I use a wide variety of frosting tips, but found that it was easiest when I was starting out to buy a pack of a bunch of tips. This bundle has a ton of different types, and is a great deal!
- Piping Bags – I use different sized bags for different projects, but these bags are great! I love using them for piping buttercream on cupcakes, and for piping frosting stripes on cakes.
- Cake Rounds/Cake Circles – I use 10-inch cake rounds because I use 10-inch cake boxes, but you can get whatever size makes the most sense for you! Just make sure that they are grease proof, otherwise the cardboard will show great stains from your frosting!!
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT TO HAVE:
- Kitchen Aid Mixer and Paddle Attachment – I use these to make every recipe other than meringue! It is by far my most utilized tool.
- Gel Food Coloring – This is the BEST gel food coloring out there. It colors both batters and frosting the most vibrant shades, and is the only brand I use.
- Acetate Sheets – Great for naked cakes, ice cream cakes, and also for smoothing cakes with curved surfaces.
- Assorted Circle Cutters – I use these for a variety of different things, from fondant polka dots, to making fondant eyes.
- Plastic Squirt Bottles – I use these for all of my drips and drizzles!! Whether it’s regular chocolate ganache, colored white chocolate ganache, or caramel, these bottles allow you to easily get the perfect drips!!
- Colorful Cake Knives – what’s the point in spending hours making a cake if you don’t get a nice clean cut, and beautiful slices?? I also love to coordinate my knife color with the decoration or flavor of my cakes
NOT ESSENTIAL AT ALL BUT A REAL TREAT TO HAVE:
- Air Brush – This is by no means an essential, but is so fun to have!! I recently purchased mine, and can’t get enough of it! It really is only needed for specialty or fancy cakes, and I finally purchased one for big partnership that required it.
- Iridescent Knives – My friend got these for me, and I simply can’t get enough of them!! I also get asked all the time where they’re from, so I figured I’d share the link!
- Decorative Cake Stands – When you put so much time into making a cake, it’s fun to have beautiful cake stands to display them on! I have a few different cake stands that don’t spin, and are solely for photographing cakes 🙂
- Pretty Sprinkle Blends – My favorite brand of sprinkle blends is Neon Yolk Shop! Rosie is so sweet, and she has a fantastic online shop on Etsy