Last year I made a delicious Baileys chocolate cake for St. Patrick’s day, and this year I decided it was time for some Baileys cupcakes.
There’s something about Baileys and chocolate that is just so delicious!
That being said, I like to bake something special each year to celebrate St. Patrick’s day.
In the past I’ve made an adorable shamrock cake, a giant beer mug cake, and even a clover patch cake.
While making cakes and cupcakes with intricate decorations is a blast, sometimes it’s nice to focus on a special ingredient and really help it shine.
This recipe is packed with Baileys, which is included in the cupcake batter and frosting!
What Is Baileys?
Baileys is an Irish whiskey and cream based liquor, which is actually pretty strong (17% ABV).
I thought I knew quite a bit about Baileys, until I realized I had been spelling it incorrectly!!
As I was writing this post, I was quite surprised to see that Baileys is spelled without an apostrophe. Guess you learn something new everyday!!
Are These Cupcakes Boozy??
By adding Baileys into the cupcake batter and the frosting, these cupcakes have that delicious Baileys flavor along with little bit of a kick.
The alcohol in the cupcakes does bake out, but the Baileys in the frosting doesn’t.
If you want an extra bit of flavor (or to make them a bit more boozy), you can also drizzle a bit of Baileys over the baked cupcakes!
You can also add a pipette of Baileys to allow people to add as much as they’d like.
That being said, these are definitely adult cupcakes and are not kid friendly!
Decorating These Baileys Cupcakes
I wanted these cupcakes to have a fun look, and decided to use one of my favorite frosting tip to decorate them.
To create this look, I added a small dab of frosting on top of each cupcake once it was fully cooled. Then I dunked the cupcake into a bowl of chocolate sprinkles.
The last step is to pipe a generous dollop of buttercream frosting on top of the sprinkle covered frosting with an Ateco 869 tip.
Tips for Making The Best Baileys Cupcakes:
- Properly measure your all-purpose flour (spoon into the cup measure then level) or use a kitchen scale to measure your dry ingredients
- Use a cookie scoop to easily fill your cupcake liners
- Ingredients at room temp mix together better, so be sure you set out any cold ingredients ahead of time.
- Bang your cupcake pan on the counter before putting it in the oven, to bring any air bubbles that are trapped in the batter to the surface
- Be sure your cupcakes are COMPLETELY cooled before you frost them! If they’re even a little bit warm, the frosting can melt right off.
Making These Cupcakes In Advance & Storage Tips:
- Make these Baileys cupcakes in advance! If stored unfrosted in an airtight container, they can last for 2 days at room temp, up to a week in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer
- Make your frosting ahead of time too, or save any leftover frosting! It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to give it a good stir once it thaws to get the consistency nice and smooth again.
- Frosted cupcakes can sit out at room temperature overnight in an airtight container, but I find frosting them right before serving is best.
Let Me Know What You Think!
If you try this recipe for Baileys cupcakes, I’d love to hear what think of it! Please leave a rating, and let me know your thoughts by sharing a comment.
Also tag me @chelsweets, and use the #chelsweets on social media so that I can see your amazing creations!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Baileys Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
- Oreo Cupcakes
- Funfetti Cupcakes
- Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Rose Water Cupcakes
- Matcha Cupcakes
This recipe for Baileys Cupcakes is packed with Baileys! They're made with moist chocolate cupcakes, drizzled with Baileys, and topped with Baileys buttercream frosting and chocolate sprinkles.
- 1/4 cup warm water (59 grams)
- 1/2 cup of Baileys Irish Cream (120 grams)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (73 grams)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled - milk or dark (57 grams)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (114 grams)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (98 grams)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (3 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2 grams)
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa powder (32 grams)
- 1 tsp white vinegar (4 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4 grams)
Baileys Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature (226 grams)
- 1/2 tsp salt (3 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4 grams)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (454 grams) - or a 1 lb bag
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream (15 grams)
- 2 Tbsp Baileys Irish Cream (30 grams)
Additional Tools / Decorations
Baileys Cupcake Recipe:
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F. Place cupcake liners in baking pans.
- Add 1/4 cup of warm water, 1/2 cup of Baileys, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup melted and cooled chocolate chips, and 2 large eggs into a large bowl.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/3 cup baking cocoa) and stir until just combined.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed with a spatula.
- Add in 1 tsp vinegar and 1 tsp vanilla extract, and mix until the batter is smooth - it will be a bit thick!
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full, and bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove and place in the freezer for 15 minutes (to accelerate the cooling process).
Baileys Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat the butter on a medium speed for 30 seconds with a paddle or whisk attachment, until smooth.
- Mix in the salt and vanilla extract on a low speed.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Alternate with additions of the heavy cream and Baileys.
- Beat on low until the ingredients are fully incorporated, and the desired consistency is reached.
- If the frosting is too thick, add an extra Tbsp of heavy cream. If it's too thin, add in another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Stir by hand with a rubber spatula to get the frosting SUPER smooth.
- Place in a piping bag fitted with an Ateco 869 tip.
Decorating These Baileys Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, pipe a small dollop of Baileys frosting on the center of each cupcake.
- Dip in a bowl filled with chocolate sprinkles.
- Top with a large dollop of Baileys frosting, and enjoy!
Make your cupcakes in advance! If stored unfrosted in an airtight container, they can last for 2 days at room temp, up to a week in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer
Make your frosting ahead of time too, or save any leftover frosting! It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to give it a good stir once it thaws to get the consistency nice and smooth again.
Frosted cupcakes can sit out at room temperature overnight in an airtight container, but I find frosting them right before serving is best.
If you want to make mini chocolate cupcakes, this recipe can be baked in mini muffin tins! It makes about 40 mini cupcakes, and they only need to bake for 9-10 minutes.
If you want to fill the cupcake or add a chocolate drizzle, I recommend using my chocolate ganache recipe! I filled the cupcakes with my ganache when it was just barely lukewarm (so it was thicker), and then heated it up to allow me to drizzle it over the cupcakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 391Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 37mgSodium 271mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 1gSugar 57gProtein 3g
Tuesday 14th of February 2023
Could I use a moist chocolate cake mix and add the Baileys to it. Then use your recipe for the icing??
Tuesday 21st of February 2023
For sure! That would be delicious :) Happy baking!!
Saturday 12th of March 2022
Looking forward to trying these next week. What size cookie scoop do you generally use? Thanks.
Saturday 4th of December 2021
Hey, can I use nutella instead of melted chocolate chips?
Thursday 8th of April 2021
I can't wait to try this recipe. Silly question would it work with any liquor?
Tuesday 16th of March 2021
This has to be the best chocolate cupcake Ive ever had!!! I whipped nutella with some baileys and used this as a filling for the center. I have also made these non-alcoholic using baileys coffee creamer. This site is my new obsession!