Few people in the world love Nutella as much as my friend Taryn (@missladyfinger), so I went a little overboard on her birthday cake this year!! This cake contains two full jars of Nutella, and is decorated with Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies. A full tutorial can be seen here, and the recipes and baking instructions are included below:
- Vanilla Cake Layers (1 batch, baked in 4, 8 inch pans)
- 1 batch Nutella buttercream (classic American buttercream + 2 Tbsp Nutella)
- 1 batch Oreo buttercream (classic American buttercream + 1 cup crushed Oreos)
- 1 jar Nutella (warmed, for drizzle between cake layers and on sides of frosted cake)
- 1.5 cups crushed Oreos
- 1 batch Nutella-stuffed cookies
- 1 batch edible cookie dough balls(garnish)
Once all components are prepared, assemble the cake. Stack and frost cake layers with the nutella buttercream. Cover with crushed Oreos, and drizzle with warm nutella. Repeat with remaining cake layers.
Apply a thin crumb coat. Chill cake in the freezer for 5 minutes. Once the crumb coat is firm to the touch, apply a thick, second layer of frosting with the Oreo buttercream. Smooth with a bench scraper. Add cookies and Oreos to the base of the cake, then chill cake again for 5 minutes in the freezer. Add warm drizzle of Nutella to sides of cake, then cover the top with a ring of edible cookie dough.
Top cake with circles of Oreos, Nutella stuffed cookies, and cookie dough. In the center, I made a giant cookie sandwich with large cookies, Nutella, and Oreo buttercream. I also added some sprinkles, since this is a birthday cake!!!
The most amazing part of this whole cake? Taryn was able get this cake to Chicago! Can you believe she made it through security with this behemoth cake!?