I’ve been asked by a few people what tools I use when I’m making cakes, and have decided to share a list of my favorite cake decorating tools! These are the essentials that I wouldn’t be able to survive/decorate without. It’s also important to note that you don’t need expensive tools to get the job done. Some of the tools I use the most are also the cheapest! So here they are, with links to the exact products I use:
- Kitchen Aid Mixer and Paddle Attachment – I use these to make every recipe other than meringue! It is by far my most utilized tool.
- Offset Spatula – used on every cake for evenly spreading frosting between cake layers, and applying crumb coats! I also use it for certain decorating techniques.
- Bench scraper – This tool is ESSENTIAL to getting smooth sides and sharp edges on your cakes!! I have several, but this one is the one I use the most.
- Piping Bags – I use different sized bags for different projects, but these bags are great! I love using them for piping buttercream on cupcakes, and for piping frosting stripes on cakes.
- Basic Frosting Tips – I use a wide variety of frosting tips, but found that it was easiest when I was starting out to buy a pack of a bunch of tips. This bundle has a ton of different types, and is a great deal!
- Cake Stand – I have had this stand for years, and it has never let me down! It can support very heavy cakes, and is dream to decorate on.
- Cake Rounds/Cake Circles – I use 10-inch cake rounds because I use 10-inch cake boxes, but you can get whatever size makes the most sense for you! Just make sure that they are grease proof, otherwise the cardboard will show great stains from your frosting!!
- Gel Food Coloring – This is the BEST gel food coloring out there. It colors both batters and frosting the most vibrant shades, and is the only brand I use.
- Acetate Sheets – Great for naked cakes, ice cream cakes, and also for smoothing cakes with curved surfaces.
- Assorted Circle Cutters – I use these for a variety of different things, from fondant polka dots, to making fondant eyes.
- Plastic Squirt Bottles – I use these for all of my drips and drizzles!! Whether it’s regular chocolate ganache, colored white chocolate ganache, or caramel, these bottles allow you to easily get the perfect drips!!
Hopefully this helps! Happy baking everyone!!